Sunday, August 07, 2005

Korean Church Ordains Elders

Image hosted by Photobucket.comToday I participated in the worship of the Korean congregation that "nests" in our church facilities. Of the three "nesters," they are the only one that is a part of my own denomination. Our relationship has been close over the 12 years they have been with us as a "new church development."

Today, they took a large step closer to becoming a self-sustaining, chartered church. They did this by ordaining and installing their first Elders on their first Session (or Board of Elders, for you Presbyterian-challenged readers).

I was asked to deliver the sermon, which I did in English. After every sentence or two I would pause while Pastor Lee would repeat what I had just said in Korean. One of my own Elders, born in Korea but raised in Kentucky, offered a prayer in both languages.

At the place designated in the service, the Elders and Pastors present came forward for the "laying on of hands" and the ordination of three of the five new Elders (two had been previously ordained elsewhere).

Afterwards, of course, there was plenty of Korean food on the church lanai.

The Korean congregation expressed their gratitude for our relationship by donating their morning offering to my congregation's New Building Capital Fund Campaign.

In three weeks they will also join us as partners in our 7th Annual Block Party.

This is what I like best about being a Christian. It doesn't matter whether two believers speak the same language or not because they know that they "are one in Christ Jesus." They are "family." And that is what we were today: Family...by God's grace, brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ.

It doesn't get any better than that!