Saturday, August 06, 2005

One Week In the Life of The Bird of Paradises

An interesting week at my house.

Daughter #1 flew off to Los Angeles where whe will be attending graduate school. As noted earlier, she has a car and an apartment ready and waiting for her. This week she bought a bed and some friends donated some other furniture (including a leather recliner!) and she has begun interviewing for jobs. She has one offer but is waiting to see how some of the others turn out.

Daughter #2, still at home until the end of September when her Fall college quarter begins in Seattle, earned her Hawaii State Driver's License on her first try. She can now drive around town without her father at her side. Part of me will miss those tender, intimate drives with her. Part of me won't. I guess that's what growing up is all about. For her and for me, both!

Daughter #3 now has her Driver's Permit. So...what I am missing with Daughter #2 I am now enjoying with her younger sister. Today she drove me to the church, the pharmacy and to WalMart. She drove well and parked well. I was so relaxed I bought a candy bar to enjoy (with my bottled water) while she chauffeured me around.

Daughter #3 left us with her old computer (which was better than our upstairs one) so I spent a large part of yesterday and today transferring files and hooking the "new" computer into our wireless internet connection. I had no idea that Windows XE would be so much harder to configure that the old Windows 98! Actually, once I got the hang of it it was easier! Now I have just cleaned the oil off of our garage floor. My car was the guilty party but it has now been fixed up good and tight by Greg down at the Chevron garage.

My W0nderful Wife is just fine and dandy, too. Tonight Daughter #2 is fixing up some ham and mashed potatoes for dinner. I get to wash the dishes afterwards but that is a small price to pay for her tasty labor of love.

Sunday worship will be bright and early tomorrow morning. We will have many reasons to praise and give thanks to the Lord.