Sunday, July 24, 2005

Nothing To Be Upset About

It seems like too many blog entries I read (including my own) relate to subjects the writers are upset about....

I have spent over an hour this evening searching the news and other blog sites to find something to be upset about. I have considered the needs of my family and friends and checked the local news here in Hawaii, and I'll be darned if I can't find a single thing to be upset about!

I suppose that there is a psychological term for someone like me...something like, "psychonormative" or "anupsetive" perhaps.

In spite of my best efforts I'm afraid that today was a good day. A nice day. I led worship with friends this morning, received to new members and celebrated the Sacrament of Baptism for baby Jack.

I came home and fell asleep on the sofa for 2 1/2 hours. I woke up, washed dishes and cleaned up around the house. Picked up daughters #2 & #3 from church youth group (daughter #3 is interim youth minister intern for the summer). Went with my wonderful wife to some friends home for fondue....and to watch their video and digital "slides" of a recent trip to Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and (as my friend said, "Don't forget.....") Lichtenstein! All in 11 days.

They spent two days with dear friends in southern Germany (who I had married here in Hawaii over 10 years ago and, five years ago, baptized their first child). I especially enjoyed seeing pictures of this family. They appeared very happy, maybe because "Daddy" had just returned from a one-year deployment to Iraq.

Maybe the closest I came to being upset all day was realizing that my friend's photos were every bit as good as mine....maybe (and this is hard to admit) even somewhat better!

This borders on violating the 10th commandment: "Thou shall not covet." So, instead, I'll just be happy that I didn't have to endure an hour or more of BAD pictures! There....that's much better...I don't feel inclined to be upset about this any longer!

So that wraps it up for today. Nothing to complain about. Nothing to be upset about. Nothing to even blog about. Sorry.