Sunday, May 15, 2005

"Free Muslims Against Terrorism Rally" Comes......and Goes....

Image hosted by Photobucket.comThe much anticipated "Free Muslims Against Terrorism Rally" in Washington DC drew literally tens of people on Saturday. No, that is not a typographical error. "Tens of people" is correct. An estimated 150 people showed up to demonstrate to the United States and to the world that Muslims are opposed to terrorism.

I believe that there are more than 150 Muslims in America that feel this way but I cannot, for the life of me, understand why more of them did not show up.

Perhaps they were (as I am, too) concerned about aligning themselves with other sponsor groups that they knew little or nothing about?

Perhaps they were afraid of potential threats agains their family or their own lives if they had publicly stood against Islamic terrorism?

The small turnout seems to imply that the vast majority of Muslims in the United States, while not, perhaps, for terrorism, are not really against it, either.

One speaker, Professor Khaleel Mohammed, had some very fiery words of criticism for what is being taught by Imams in the mosques these days. I do not know who Professor Mohammed is, but I am convinced that he is a very, very brave man.

I pray that others, who are afraid to stand up as a Muslim against terrorism, will begin to take courage from his example. Perhaps a purge of Imams by their congregants will be forthcoming, sending them back to Saudi Arabia and Egypt where far too many of them have been trained in Wahhabi theology?

I will not be holding my breath.

Little Green Footballs has a videotape of the Professor's brief speech. The video is distracting but, if you close your eyes, his words (in the audio portion) ring out clearly and (I would like to think) truly.