Sunday, January 09, 2005

Seeing Something in a New Way

I sat in with the Men's Sunday School class this morning. I'm glad I did. They had read the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew -5-7) during the week and were sharing what had touched them personally. Towards the end of the class Roger drew our attention to Matthew 7:13-14 which he then read,
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
He then read a poetic reflection on this passage written by Sam Shoemaker called, "I Stand at the Door." In these words Shoemaker describes those who seek truth blindly in the dark, as though feeling their way along a wall, groping for something, anything that might give meaning and purpose to their lives. He declares that he will stand by the door, or "narrow gate," that leads to God and to life. (For a Christian, of course, the door or gate is Jesus Christ.)

Shoemaker's explains that his purpose in standing by the door is two-fold. 1. To grasp the arms of the seekers and lead them to the door so that they might go in, and 2. To meet those who, having entered the door, are in retreat due to fear or guilt and encourage them to trust the love and mercy of God and to continue with their journey through and beyond the door.

I have read these words from Matthew 7 many, many times. But never had I thought of them in terms of outreach and evangelism. But now my eyes have been opened!

It makes sense to me that that the point that Jesus was trying to make may have been this: Since the gate is small and narrow and few find it, it should be the responsibility of those who have already found it to lead others to it!

Shoemaker ends his reflections with these words, "I had rather be a door-keeper. So I stand by the door."

Twenty-five hundred years ago a Jewish poet wrote a similar sentiment when he said, "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked." (Psalm 84:10)

As Alice (in Wonderland) discovered, sometimes the smallest doors can lead to the greatest wonders! To help lead others to find that door for themselves, I think, must make God smile. Thank you, Roger, for helping me to see something "old" in a new way.