Friday, January 07, 2005

Heart By-Pass Surgery a Success

Late last month I wrote about my friend Hellen and her upcoming heart by-pass surgery. Earlier this week she had the surgery. For four days she was on a breathing tube and, later, a feeding tube. There were enough other complications to cause some real concern over her recovery. During my visits she was very sedated and medicated for pain. Still, she was able to open her eyes and nod her head to indicate that she understood what I was saying. When I had prayer I noticed that her lips moved in saying "Amen" with me.

Last evening she was taken off of the ventilator and the feeding tube was removed. When I saw her today she was more full of energy that I was! Doris, the dear church member who has been at the hospital all week keeping an eye on things, told me that she had jokingly told Hellen that she was talking so much today that she had not even had time to read the newspaper!

During my visit today, Hellen said that she did not think she would do it again. She added that her surgeon had told her that the two-way by-pass surgery should be good to go for at least 10-14 years. I replied that I thought that sounded like a pretty good warranty. But Hellen didn't sound convinced. So I asked, "What do you think about the 10-14 year guarantee?" She replied by saying, "I don't like it!" "Why?" I asked. "Because I don't want to live that long!" I started laughing so hard I was afraid the CCU nurse would come in to see what was wrong.

Later, just before I left, Hellen complimented me by saying, "I'm thankful that you are you." I leaned in close to her and said, "I agree. I'd rather be me than you!" She laughed back at me and added, "I'd rather be you, too!" After a brief, unintelligible conversation about who would live longer if we switched places and how long would we want to live if she were me and I were her I shared a short prayer and said "good-bye" for the day.

I can't describe in words just how much I like Hellen. Her faith has never wavered. She continues to trust God in everything. And she possesses an overflowing spirit of enthusiasm that I find lacking in most people who are only half of her 85 years. I would be content to be like her should I live to be 85. And I would be blessed if I were to be surrounded by as many faithful friends as Hellen has in our congregation.

Tonight her son arrives from the East Coast to spend a week with her. She is looking forward to it. Even in bed, tired and weak and covered with a spaghetti tangle of tubes, she is happy.