Monday, January 15, 2007

Dr. King Remembered

I don't have anything profound to say today. I just want to remember the vision and passion that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. held for God's "unalienable" gift of justice and freedom for all people.

A quote from his "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" is sufficient (for the moment) to remember the legacy he left us . . . as well as the responsibility we bear to carry on the fight:
I am in Birmingham because injustice is here. Just as the eighth century prophets left their little villages and carried their "thus saith the Lord" far beyond the boundaries of their home towns; and just as the Apostle Paul left his little village of Tarsus and carried the gospel of Jesus Christ to practically every hamlet and city of the Graeco-Roman world, I too am compelled to carry the gospel of freedom beyond my particular home town. Like Paul, I must constantly respond to the Macedonian call for aid.
Much has been accomplished. Even so, injustice still awaits a prophet who will confront it with a "thus saith the Lord" and bring it to naught.

HT: Powerline