Wednesday, November 09, 2005

An E-mail From Jordan

Most folks in Jordan are not particularly happy with the terrorist attacks that took place last night. Today I received the following email from Amman written by someone who works with tour groups such as the one I recently took to Jordan. His thoughts, "hot off the press" so to speak, reveal what is most likely the attitude of most Jordanians today. As you read his message, keep him and all who desire peace in your prayers:

To all my friends, I am ok and it is not me the important now, it is our beloved country which need ur help and support.. U as friends of Jordan, we need ur support. What happened tonight killed many but is threating a country, it is awful, see kids, women and men celebrating a wedding party, and this bloody stupid closed minded person, bumped them all.. We should not stand and look at this, we need to take an action, we shouldnt give up and stay home,for me I will go to work tomorrow, even if my group wont come, but I will take the bus and go wait. Tell everyone u know, Jordan is stronger than El Qaedah, we will stand up again, wash the blood from the lobbies and put flowers instead, we will wait for groups as we always did, we will look forward to bring more investment as we always did.. We who love peace r a target to those extremiest, they hit and hide, but we should not hide, we must fight back.. Help this courty, buy forwarding this email to whom it may concern. Jordan is save, life will not stop at this point, we passed more difficult situations than this, and with the help of or allies and friends we will survive.. I am sure I wont see many people I used to see at those hotels, but many r ready to take their places, maybe they ruined a wedding, but the coming days will be all weddings and hope u our friend will stand beside this country and support us in any possible way.. Peace to all nations, Jordan first and always will be first.. Omar
After reading his message I was struck by how well his thoughts fit into my initial analysis of the attacks in my previous post here. May his words prove prophetic: "...the coming days will be all weddings..."