Friday, October 21, 2005

Rory Carroll, Kidnapped British Reporter Freed In Baghdad

Image hosted by Photobucket.comRory Carroll, Baghdad-based journalist for the English newspaper The Guardian was released today after being kidnapped on Wednesday.

This might not normally be something I would blog about except for the fact that Rory was my seat-mate on my recent 11-hour flight from New York City to Amman, Jordan, on Royal Jordanian Airlines. (I took the above photo of Rory as we disembarked at Queen Alia International Airport in Amman).

Rory was returning from a 2-week vacation spent with his sister in New York.

I mentioned my encounter with Rory in a previous post here.

Rory has been in my thoughts and prayers often since I met him. It was not until today, when I heard on the radio of his release, that I even knew he had been kidnapped.

In any case, I join with his family, friends, the Guardian and his fellow journalists stationed in Iraq in giving thanks to God for his safe release.

Rory told me he was scheduled to complete his assignment this coming January. He was, he said, looking forward to leaving Iraq and starting a new assignment somewhere else.....presumably somewhere where you don't have to worry about being kidnapped every time you interview someone for a story.

I wonder whether Rory will now get an early ticket home. If offered I would be surprised if he didn't take it.