Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Listen To Your Mother....Especially In Bad Weather!

Remember all those things your mother told you about: Always wear a hat in cold weather, don't jump off a bridge (at least not until you have checked to see how deep the water is), chew your food before you swallow it, fasten your seat belt, save a little money for a rainy day.....you know the sort of things I'm talking about. The sort of things that, when you are older, you look back on and say, "Gee, she really DID know what she was talking about!"

Well, the same sort of thing happened at Ft. Benning, Georgia, yeaterday. It seems that a group of soldiers on a training exercize were rushing back to the base because of the approach of a threatening weather system.

According to and AP story on CNN online, the men were told to spread out as a precaution and to "ground" their weapons in case of a lightening strike. I can hear the soldiers grumbling about these over-protective and over-cautious orders just like they did when Mom told them to look both ways before crossing the street.

Well, as it turned out, lightening DID strike! 19 men went to the hospital as a result. But none of them died. Why? Because Mom was right all along! Somewhere a Lt. or a Sgt. are smiling and saying, "I told you so!"

Excuse me for a minute, I just remembered that I forgot to take my vitamims this morning! Thanks, Mom!