Monday, August 15, 2005

Blogosphere Needs MSM to Keep Us Honest....Honest!

I believe I have read this elsewhere but cannot recall where. But I know for sure that I read it today in the August edition of Readers’ Digest, page 130, under the page heading, “MediaTrendLets.”

Those of us who inhabit the blogosphere know the value of fact-checking and holding the MSM accountable for whatever it is they choose or do not choose to print or broadcast.

With links we can check sources immediately and make up our own minds if we consider them to be credible or not. We are not morons who believe everything we read, either on the internet or in the newspaper!

As I read this snippet in RD the only thing I could think of to say was, "Huh?”
“Don’t confuse me with the facts!” That could be the motto of those of us who rely on the blogosphere, rather than traditional media, for our news. What’s the future of newspapers and networks in this all-opinion world? Tom Rosenstiel, who directs the Projhect for Excellence in Journalism, told USA Today that traditional media will evolve into “authenticators” telling people what information they can trust. (emphasis in original)
Somehow this reminds me of the old fox-guarding-the-henhouse story…..