Thursday, April 14, 2005

"Revelations" Debuts On NBC

First it was "The Last Days of the Late, Great Planet Earth!"

Then it was "Armageddon."

Then came Volumes I-CLVII of the "Left Behind" series (and II movies, too!)

Now comes "Revelations." Courtesy of NBC.

I haven't seen it yet. I'm not sure that I'm going to take the time to see it at all.

I've read all their stuff on the NBC "Revelations" website and mostly yawned.

The only review I could track down so far was by MaryAnn Johanson of Flick Filosopher (via "RottenTomatoes").

Although clearly not writing as a Christian believer, Ms. Johanson does wield a cruel wit that seems quite able to "divide joints and marrow." My favorite quotes from her review:

Oh, how can I possibly resist Apocalyptic cheese like NBC's Revelations? It's goofy Jesus stuff and it's ridiculous prime-time "drama." It's movie actors slumming on TV and it's a finely calculated mercenary attempt to get all those consumers of The Da Vinci Code back in front of the boob tube, where they belong.

and

They do say that God works in mysterious ways, after all. I wouldn't have thought he'd be all that interested in TV ratings, but you neverknow. On the other hand, perhaps Seltzer or one of those NBC execs made a deal with the guy who works in the basement...

They say that "the greater part of valor is discretion" ....so.....I think I'll read the book instead!