Friday, April 15, 2005

Headline Gets It Half-Wrong

LGF points out that, once again, a news headline proclaims the exact opposite of the news it purports to present.

The headline: "U.S. Has No Exit Strategy for Iraq, Rumsfeld Says."

The news story text:

"The U.S. has no exit strategy or timetable for withdrawing its forces from Iraq and a pull-out depends on the readiness of the Iraqi Security Forces, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said.

``We don't have an exit strategy, we have a victory strategy,'' Rumsfeld told soldiers during a surprise visit to Baghdad, according to a pooled broadcast report from the capital. ``The goal is to help the Iraqi Forces develop the skills and the capacity to provide their own security.''


I guess if you want to find an elephant standing in the middle of the local WalMart all you have to do is "say so" and it must be true!

When I was a child that was called "wishful thinking." "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." (I Corinthians 13:11)

It is clear that those who write the news have some serious "growing up" to do.