Sunday, January 16, 2005

Gospel Choir

Sometimes a photo captures something you were not able to see when you took it. This is one of those. At the end of September 2004 I took my middle daughter, Emily, to Seattle Pacific University where she moved into her dorm and went through orientation for her first quarter of classes as an incoming Freshman. SPU gives the royal treatment for incoming students and their parents. The first evening we were welcomed with a program in the gymnasium that included a musical selection from the university's Gospel Choir. I took the photo from across the gym. From that distance the choir formed only a small group in the center of the picture. Later, when I downloaded it onto my computer, I zoomed in to see what details might show up. To my pleasant surprise I discovered amazing detail, expressive faces and a sepia-like graininess that reminded me of a cross between Rembrandt and Norman Rockwell. With a little cutting and trimming I came up with these beautiful compositions, unretouched and just the way it was when they were too far away for me to see! I hope you enjoy them. Be sure to click on them to get the full effect.