South Park, Comedy Central, Jesus & Muhammad
Several conclusions can be reached. I will allow you to choose which one(s) you believe to be true. The answer, of course, could be "all of the above."
1. Comedy Central loves Muhammad and Muslims and hates Jesus Christ and Christians.
2. Comedy Central is scared out of their wits that radical Muslims will kill them if they show an image of Muhammad but know that tolerant and wimpy generally non-violent Christians ("turn the other cheek") will give them a pass.
3. Comedy Central is lead by hypocrites who endorse blatant double-standards when it comes to supporting "free speech" on their network.
4. Many Muslims assert the validity of their faith by responding to their enemies by threatening to kill them while most Christians assert the validity of their faith by responding to their enemies by loving and praying for them.
5. South Park is taking a brave, commendable and controversial stand in defense of free speech at the expense and embarrassment of their network, Comedy Central.
6. South Park is taking a contemptible and self-righteous stand so as to generate controversy, increase their fan-base, spit in the face of everyone, gain tons of free publicity, make lots of money and fool everyone into thinking that they have done something noble.
As a Christian pastor I must say that I am offended by the depiction of Jesus in this latest episode. I am saddened to think that Christians, our faith, our Lord and our God are considered "fair game" for ridicule on public television.
On the other hand, I am content in the thought that my brothers and sisters in Christ are faithful to our Lord in responding to such insults with non-violence and reasoned debate--even when those who insult us do not show us any respect in retiurn.
Psalm 2:2,4 says,
The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the LORD and against his Anointed One...and Psalm 37:10-13 adds,
The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.
A little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look for them, they will not be found. But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace. The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them; but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.My God is big enough and grown up enough to take care of himself. I am bound to defend him in both word and in deed but always in a manner consistent with the life and teachings of Christ. In the end, it is God who will judge the earth and take care of the details.
It does not really matter how you or I rate the six points I listed above. The only thing that matters is how God will rate them. He is, after all, the Lord of South Park and Comedy Central as well as Muhammad and his followers.
Oh . . . and you and me, too!
UPDATE: lgf has a copy of the form letter released by Comedy Central in response the flood of complaints they have received over their decision to "censor" the image of Muhammad. The letter proves that threats, intimidation and fear work wonderfully in limiting the freedom of speech. The letter is also a cruel indictment of virtually the entire US media industry. It appears that radical Islamists are dictating what we can and cannot say in the United States. I, for one, am not willing to accept this situation as it stands. The letter includes this statement:
Comedy Central will continue to produce and provide the best comedy available and we will continue to push it right to the edge.That is to say that, after consultation with their radical Islamist advisors, they will do whatever they are told they can and cannot do.
Is it just me or do you feel a chill?