Sunday, September 04, 2005

Searching for a Sister Congregation In Louisiana

My congregation's Mission elders have taken up Hugh Hewitt's call to partner with another PCUSA congregation impacted by Hurrican Katrina. To be honest, I had already begun searching for a partner church before Hugh came up with the idea. But I'll give him credit for raising the idea nationally.

We took up a special offering this morning (it had originally been designated for refugee relief in Niger and Darfur....but things change). When we make contact with a congregation (probably in the New Orleans area) we will make the money available to them to use as they see the need. We will then dialogue with them in the coming months and see what we can do to help them out.

My congregation is not very large, but it is larger than most of the PCUSA congregations in the New Orleans metropolitan area. Many have only 50-60 members. I suspect that many of these members are older folks who are more or less dependent on others at this time.

By God's grace I will be able to name our partner church in the next few days.

In all ministry and mission, the more personal you can make it, the better. Amen? Amen!