Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Hey, Dude! Where's My Newspaper?

This week the Honolulu Advertiser daily newspaper stopped the afternoon edition that I have subscribed to for the past five years. Now I get the morning edition. Except today, when I went out front to get it, it wasn't on the driveway, or in the bushes or near the front door. Nuts! Only three days into the new delivery time and they already mess it up!

My wife had already left to drop off Eva at the High School before heading off to work and, when I finished my breakfast, I went into the garage, opened the garage door, backed out my car, closed the garage door with the remote and drove to the church. In the afternoon, when I picked up Eva from school, she mentioned that I had left the garage door open when I came home last night. My wife had closed it when she left the house this morning.

This evening, after dinner, I drove Eva back to the High School for presentation and sign up for Advanced Placement (AP) classes for her Junior year beginning next Fall (she has decided to take AP English). As we backed out of the driveway Eva said, "Oh, look. There's the newspaper. It was in the garage under your car!"

She was right, of course. The newspaper delivery person had thrown the paper through the open garage door and under the car. By the time I came out to look for it my wife had already closed the door.

I guess there is a lesson in this somewhere. Maybe something about people in glass houses or taking out the beam in your own eye or judge not lest ye be judged or ....well, you get the idea. And so did I.