Saturday, February 03, 2007

British Teacher "Sacked" for "Upsetting" Students With a Fact They Didn't Want To Hear

According to BBC News,
Andrew McLuskey was sacked from Bayliss Court Secondary School in Slough after a Religious Education lesson discussing the pros and cons of religion.

Pupils at the predominantly Muslim school claimed Mr McLuskey said most suicide bombers were Muslim.
The article concludes with these surreal paragraphs:
"I think I should've been given the chance to respond to the allegations and not in effect be ejected from a job without the chance to defend myself."

The school authorities denied they were being heavy-handed and said their first priority was pupils' welfare.

"I don't think it's important what I think," said the school's deputy head teacher Ray Hinds.

"It's what the pupils think that were in the classroom at the time. And they were very upset."
So that's the new standard for employment in an English school these days . . . if the students don't like what a teacher says . . . if they say that they are upset . . . the teacher gets fired . . . whether the school administrators feel it is fair or right or not.

Gee, if I ran my house that way when my three daughters were growing up I would have been "sacked" myself!

I guess, in England at least, it is now only safe to teach the facts that the students want to hear.

Although I am not a big fan of predictive Biblical prophecy I must confess that the words and warning of 2 Timothy 4:3-4 seem to have come to pass:
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
Sigh.