Thursday, May 05, 2005

How to Be a Concientious Objector AND a Military Hero At the Same Time: The True Story of Corporal Desmond T. Doss

During the Vietnam War I registered for the draft in what was called a "1-AO" status. This meant that, as a "concientious objector," I was not willing to serve as a combat soldier but was willing to serve in the military as a non-combatant. Among other things, I could have been drafted to serve as a paper-pusher, a medic or a chaplain's assistant.

Today, I came across a story of another man who entered the military in WWII with that same status. His name was (and is, since he is still living) Corporal Desmond T. Doss. Amazingly, he was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery under fire. The fact that he is a Christian, and took his faith seriously, also added to my interest. It is well worth your reading it, too.

You will find the story posted at Chaotic Synaptic Activity (that's the real name of the blog. Honestly! Would I make up a name like that!).

You can also read his Medal of Honor citation here, where he is listed (alphabetically) immedately after General James Doolittle!

HT: Greyhawk at Mudville Gazette