Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Why I Am Not Qualified To Be a Pastor

Throughout my 26 years of ordained ministry in the Presbyterian Church (USA) I have often felt that I was not connecting with my congregation...that my words and leadership somehow were missing the mark. Tonight I discovered where I have gone wrong all these years.

Andy and Theresa (and toddler daughter Makayla) came over for dinner and dessert tonight. Andy's mother is also a Presbyterian pastor (in Pennsylvania) but, for her, it is a second career.

Andy explained that he felt his mother's first career had greatly helped her to become an effective minister and pastor to her congregregation. What was her secret? She had been a 1st grade public school teacher!

I wonder if my congregation will give me a sabbatic leave to get my elementary school teaching credential? Maybe then they would be able to understand what I am talking about on a Sunday morning!

Thanks, Andy, for the tip!