Friday, March 04, 2005

"Why Am I Not Dead?"

According to a CNN article today, David Prueitt, an Oregon man terminally ill with lung cancer, took what he thought was a fatal dose of barbituates prescribed by his doctor under the "physician-assisted suicide" law of that state. He immediately fell into a coma but regained full consciousness three days later. Upon awakening he asked his wife, "Why am I not dead?"

The incident happened this past January. Mr. Prueitt died of natural causes two weeks later. Perhaps the Prueitt family can sue the doctor for malpractice since his prescription was not sufficient to kill his patient.

On the other hand, perhaps Oregon legislators will consider authorizing more lethal means of suicide to ensure that those who want to die can do so without worrying about whether they will actually die or not when they kill themselves.

Perhaps doctors in Oregon can be issued trusty Colt .45s so that they can then, in turn, "prescribe" them to their patients as needed.

Or perhaps a rope, complete with directions and diagrams in how to make a noose, could be provided.

Or, even more cost effective, some cliff could be set apart as a public service for those who might prefer to fling themselves into eternity. Sure;y this would be most attractive for struggling, cash-strapped HMOs.

More seriously, I do extend my sincere sympathy to the Prueitt family on the recent death of Mr. Prueitt. I wonder, however, if his first attempt at death was more or less dignified than the real thing, two weeks later.

"Why am I not dead yet." That is a question that doctors, physiologists and biologists have few answers for. It is a tough one even for theologians like myself. I am fairly certain that there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

I can say, with some certainty however, that life itself is a mystery far more difficult to solve than death. Anyone can create death...for themselves or for someone else (except, perhaps, for that doctor in Oregon).

Life, however, is impossible to create from non-living matter. No one has done it and no one currently has any viable, testable theory as to how it could have occurred under any known "natural" conditions.

In some deep, profound sense, "death with dignity" is an oxymoron. Far more worthwhile is the concept of "life with dignity."

As a follower of Jesus Christ I feel far more called to promote the latter than I do the former. And not only for the terminally ill but for the pre-born as well.

Is there such a thing as "abortion with dignity?"

Life belongs to God. It is a gift. In this sinful, fallen world the package containing life wears out eventually. While I give thanks for the package I have, I am even more grateful to know that my life will receive new packaging from God when my present mortality runs its course. The new package will come with a literal "lifetime guarantee." And the life that it holds will have a "lifetime guarantee," too!