Tuesday, December 21, 2004

An Unusual (for me) Baptism

Yesterday I stayed after Sunday morning worship and Sunday School to attend the 12 Noon worship of the Hanmi Presbyterian Church (Korean speaking) that "nests" in our facilities. A Korean woman, married to an American, has been attending my congregation, staying for Sunday School along with her children and then attending the Korean service after that.

Recently she completed a "new members" class that I offer several times each year. After several years of study and prayer she decided to accept Jesus Christ as her personal Lord and Savior and receive the Sacrament of Baptism.

She hesitantly expressed some uncertainty to me about in which congregation she should be baptized. Clearly, she didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings! I mentioned this situation to the Korean pastor (who is also a close friend) and suggested that he speak with her and assure her that we were both delighted in her commitment to Christ and would both be present at whatever worship service or congregation she decided to be baptized in.

As it turned out, she chose the Korean congregation (which I felt was her preference all along). Her baptism was to be yesterday so I made sure I would be present for the event. To my surprise I discovered that she and the Korean pastor had decided that I would officiate at her baptism. So, when the time came, I stood with her before the congregation, listened as she affirmed her faith in Korean and then baptized her in English (but using her Korean name).

Clearly God does not care what language is spoken. It is the heart that God listens to. And yesterday the heart of this young woman, the hearts of two pastors and the hearts of two very culturally different congregations were united as one in Jesus Christ. There was no doubt in my mind that this was a very good thing indeed.