Friday, December 03, 2004

Burial at Sea Off Waikiki

Jeff Hall, who I wrote about several days ago, was buried today off of Waikiki Beach. The "beachboys" (yes, there really are beachboys) paddled his ashes out to the reef in their catamaran at 6:30 am just as the sun was rising over Diamond Head. The surf was unexpectedly high today, unusual for this time of year when the North Shore gets the big waves and the South Shore is almost flat. Jeff's local brother set the whole thing up with Jeff's Waikiki friends. Another brother and a niece came all the way from California to be here today.

Everyone was friendly but I was clearly the only tall, white, non-pidgin speaking haole in attendence. Even so, being a minister (or kahu), as well as being a friend and former employer of Jeff, generated toleration, if not respect, for my being there. After we had pulled the catamaran up on the beach we all gathered around Jeff's brother. He introduced me, I said a few words about Jeff and offered a short prayer. Then a letter, written for the occasion by Jeff's mother was read.

Afterwards we talked story and shared pupus on the beach. One woman who had known Jeff worked at a photography place on the beach. She did not have a lot of money and had recently had a baby girl. Jeff had often stopped by the shop and given her a package of diapers. "He was always doing nice things like that," she said.One by one folks left to go to work or to do whatever else they had to do.

I was unable to get my valet parking ticket validated at the Sheraton Moana so, instead I had a cup of "for guests only" coffee and went to pick my car.

The valet guys didn't look too happy when I gave them an unvalidated ticket so I explained that I was there for a beach funeral and couldn't find anyone to validate it. They sort of shook their heads, said "Merry Christmas" and only charged me $5. I gave them $10 instead and said, "Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you, too."

The unseasonal waves seemed to strike everyone as a sign that nature was smiling on Jeff today. I suppose it is a good thing to go out when the surf is up!