Sunday, November 28, 2004

Best Part of the Wedding

I attended a wedding this afternoon for a friend. Along with most of the other men I wore a nice "aloha" shirt. Standing in line to sign the guest book a women said to me, "I really like your shirt." The man in front of me turned, thinking she was speaking to him. Seeing this the woman said to him, "You're wearing an nice shirt, too." Then she decided to lift her foot up and place it in her mouth up to her ankle. "It's an old shirt, isn't it? I just love old shirts. They don't make them like that anymore. They're so 'retro!' My son found one just like yours at a thrift shop. He brought it home and used it to cover a chair." While I tried to keep from laughing out loud the man graciously replied with a smile, "I guess it's an old shirt for an old guy." Mercifully, the woman bit down hard, kept her mouth shut and kept any further thoughts to herself.
The marriage ceremony which followed, while nice, had to settle for being my second favorite part of the wedding.