Saturday, November 20, 2004

Hello World

Blogspot was kind enough to offer a blogsite when I wasn't looking for one! Yet here I am, led by the nose to a new adventure unsought for. Much of life is like that, I think. Life is sort of like reading a book. Each day you turn a new page, not knowing exactly what to expect. When the day is done and the page has been read the mystery of tomorrow and the following "page" remain, filling us with either hope or forboding with what may next appear.

Much of what we read we have predetermined by our choices and actions. At the least, what we have chosen and done today will limit the parameters in which our life will unfold tomorrow.

The adventure of my life, as that of history and world events on the larger stage, is always one of mystery, wonder and anticipation of what may happen next. Insofar as it is within my power to shape tomorrow I am free to do so in whatever manner I shall choose, either for good or ill (what may be "good" or "ill," of course, will depend on any one's personal point of reference).

My chosen point of reference is that of Jesus Christ. It is from the perspective of his teachings and example I choose to discern right and wrong, good and evil. The distinction (in a sinful world) is not always as clear as I would like. Even so, God has promised that by his Spirit he will lead me, more often than not, towards that which is right and good in God's eyes--If I am genuine in my desire to "be conformed to the image of God's Son."

Being a Christian does not mean that I know what will appear on the next page of my life's story. But it does mean that I have been given a peek at how the story will end in the end. And, yes, my story will have a happy ending (at least from God's point of view) because of Jesus. His teachings and promises have been affirmed and confirmed by the historic events of his life, death, resurrection and ascention. My story may end suddenly tomorrow or it may wander through existential terrors like a novel by Dostoevski. It may also be filled with pain and suffering, ecstacy and joy or all of these mixed together. So shall it be. I will be content with what shall come.

Yet through it all I will be an optimist. Because I know that there will be a victory in the end....and the life of love, forgiveness, mercy, justice, righteousness and hope that I have chosen will triumph...because they are of God...who is the beginning and the end of my present story...and the never-beginning, never-ending God of eternity in my upcoming sequel.

Nice to meet you all. In the words of most bloggers I have read..."more later.."