Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Schiavo Case Setting a Precedent?

The American legal system has now set a remarkable precedent. From henceforth (and even forevermore?) there will be a new set of case law that permits the courts to approve that which, without their approval, would otherwise be illegal.

For example, if I were to allow my old granny to die peacefully and painlessly by withholding food and water from her I would be arrested and thrown in jail.

But, if I had a court of law allow me to withhold food and water from my old granny that would be just fine and dandy.

Perhaps this new concept can be expanded.

For example, if I were to cut down my neighbor's tree without his permission I would be charged with trespassing and destruction of personal property.

But, if I had a court of law allow me to cut down my neighbor's tree without his permission that would be ok.

It appears to me that we have at last reached the place in our history where the law has become whatever the courts feel the law ought to be at any given time. Since we have now progressed as a national culture to the point where right and wrong, good and evil, truth and fiction are relative, it only makes sense that this concept be extended to legal and illegal as well.

Is it wrong to murder your wife? Well, if you are a white, middle-class Christian it probably is. But, if you are an immigrant Arab Muslim male asserting your right to avenge a perceived slight to your honor, then..... well..... who are we to criticize or judge someone based on standards that are foreign to them. It would be culturally insensitive to punish them for something they do not view as being "wrong."

So, let's look forward to the day when we will have no more need of codified law at all. If there is a conflict or disagreement over some trivial matter (such as my taking your car from your garage without you knowing anything about it and driving it to work because mine was broken down and I really, really, really had to get to work on time...) then we can just go over to Judge Judy's and let her figure it out any way she wants to. (Hmmm, maybe one of those "eight ball" answer thingies would work, too!)