Thursday, February 17, 2005

A Wallet Returned

This evening I lost my wallet. I left it on the roof of my car (like an idiot) when I stopped by the Tesoro Station for a fillup. Five minutes later, when I got home, I remembered what I had done. So, back to the gas station. No, it had not been returned at the station store. It was not anywhere to be seen sitting on the road, either.

The lady at the station store had said to kiss the wallet good-bye. "No one's going to return it," she said. I disagreed saying, "Most people would return it. I expect to get it back."

I did get it back even sooner than I had expected. When I returned home again my daughter #3 was standing outside with her cell phone. A man named "Donald" had called just a few minutes after I had left saying he had found my wallet. When I talked to him on the phone he was just two minutes away at a nearby McDonald's. So, two minutes later, less than 30 minutes after losing my wallet, Donald handed it back to me.

He would not take any money in return but did accept my thanks. "Years ago," he said, "I lost my wallet and someone returned it to me. I have always said that if I ever found someone else's wallet I would do the same thing." And today he did just that.

Thank you, Donald. I'm glad you found my wallet. I'm glad you were able to "do unto me as someone once did unto you!" And I'm glad you proved me to be right about most people being honest.

Last, but not least, "Thank you, God!" Whew!